Thursday, December 17, 2009

Lessons from Frog and Toad

The other night I asked Peter (the writer I live with) if he wanted me to read him a story. We were tucked in bed and he was reading some 700 page book on his ipod. Yes, his ipod. He didn't really want me to but I insisted.

So I read him a Frog and Toad story called "A List." The cadence of it was so nice. The story was so well put together. It was funny and sweet. A good story to read right before bed. And while I'm sure that kids would like it, it hit this adult very hard. Making lists is such an important part of my life. The story ends with Toad saying, "There. Now my day is all crossed out!" Don't we all know that feeling? When I finished reading it, Pete said, "That was nice."

I asked him if he wanted me to read him another one. He said, "No, thanks," and went back to reading a few lines at a time on his ipod. I finished Frog and Toad all by myself. I smiled all the way through and then my day was crossed out too.

3 comments:

  1. Did you ever read Rules by Cynthia Lord? The boy David, who is autistic, is obsessed with Frog and Toad and quotes it on a regular basis. That's what I think of when I think Frog and Toad these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a pretty funny video over on theonion.com about adults reading kids books--I think it's called "Adults Go Wild Over Latest in Children's Picture Book Series." (It seems I'm not smart enough to figure out how to post the link here.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Mary--what a lovely picture of the two of you ending the day.

    Lobel's stories are so fine. Small Pig was a favorite around our house.

    ReplyDelete