Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy Anniversary

20 years ago this month I sold my first book. Back then hardly anyone in my life was aware I was writing. And for some time after that sale I kind of kept my head down, preferring to work in isolation. I recall once saying to someone, "I don't hang out with other writers."

Well, that changed. I'll be spending a good chunk of this anniversary month submerged in the company of other writers, beginning tomorrow when students and faculty in the Hamline MFAC program begin gathering on the ice-bound campus in St. Paul, Minnesota. We'll argue, laugh, learn. I'll pontificate and I'll admit ignorance. We'll whine about bad food and savor good writing. No one will get enough sleep. With luck, no one will take a header on the ice.

My wardrobe is hardly presentable for the occasion, but I had my hair cut yesterday, so I guess I'm ready. Time to hang out with some writers.

MQ

11 comments:

  1. Despite exhaustion and a lecture to write, I am getting my haircut at 2:30. Can't wait to see your well-coiffed self, Marsha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!
    I look forward to seeing you this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm going to wait and get a big-city haircut at that salon near Hamline, across from the Gingko, because haircuts are too cheap here in the UP. I like to pay as much as possible for my grooming.

    Happy hair to all! Congrats, Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun, Marsha and friends! I will be thinking of you all from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm already whining about the bad food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to cancel my haircut. I apologize in advance to all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had my hair cut since early December. Can I still play?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, another teachable moment: One should always be precise with language. My hair was really only trimmed, not cut. No drastic changes for this old lady.

    Anyone got a hair haiku bubbling up? Christine? Anne? (I bet you could use a diversion from the lecture-writing.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll add my haircut (3 inches at least) to the tally! I'm resolving not to look at work email or even think about anything other than savoring every blessed minute of my last residency. Can't wait to see everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. To scrunch or dry flat?
    Fighting frizz demands product
    in winter's dry air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got my hair cut for the occasion as well! And got a great story about a goat as part of the bargain.

    ReplyDelete