Sunday, January 17, 2010

Being Awesome

One of our students, Dave Revere, gave his lecture on the willing hero. He called it "Being Awesome." That phrase seems to have defined the last couple of days of residency, where all we can do is bask in the awesomeness of our experience and our colleagues. We're way past exhaustion now, but what comes in this place is something oddly close to clarity.

I love it here. I love coming back every six months to this spiritual home. Our theme this residency was setting, and now I'm thinking about this great place, and how it is created by the people in it and the energy around it. Bad food and bad weather just add to the place-y-ness of it--for they just add the depth that make it whole. Besides, without some foibles, this place wouldn't be real, and then where would we be?

It turns out that some of our faculty have talents beyond writing, and while I think this is desperately unfair, it sure makes for a good closing night banquet. They gave us a rousing musical review and our amazing graduation speaker, Jane Yolen, joined in. I'm not sure I'll ever forget the sight of her sprawled on the grand piano, torch-singer style, serenading our graduates.

I leave for home--where apparently I have a husband and child-- feeling energized and inspired by my awesome colleagues--faculty, students, and staff alike. It's such a great privilege to call these people my friends.

11 comments:

  1. Yes, awesome sums pretty much sums it up

    Someone must have a photo of legendary rockstar children's writer sassing it up on top of the piano, so that Ron and Gary can see what they miss in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey how does one edit her comments? That first "sums" is a typo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two votes for Awesome.
    And if anyone gets a chance, google "Validation on Youtube" - the Awesome one himself recommended this little video to me, and it is like him, awesome.

    But Jane Yolen on the grand piano ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lisa--in Blogger, like life, there is no going back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still high from the fumes of all that awesomeness.

    Sending the love right back atcha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're unclothed, unfed, hunting the cats for something to eat. The todder and I've founded a tribe and erected an idol in what I think used to be the living room. The mail carrier doesn't come around anymore..but let's not talk about that.
    But, you know, take your time coming home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I am reflecting on the past ten days, I am stunned gravitas this residency seems to have carried, and the affect it has had on my psyche & future writing. I wonder if it is just me, and I am becoming a better student of the craft and understanding how to apply what I learn to my own work, or if this past residency was one that has affected everyone in a similar way. Waiting for life to return to "normal" but it isn't quite happening...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was so NOT awesome to return to my job today. I already miss everyone terribly and am amazed at how Hamline so easily feels like home to me. Thanks to you all for making this residency one of the best memories I own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a particularly awesome residency! I miss everyone already, although I'm also super charged to write!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Fabulous" is not superlative enough to describe it! Jason and his class members (including the AWESOME Dave) gave us great new insights with their lectures. Claire's talk tied in perfectly with several others to help us see the roles our own lives play in our writing processes.

    It was fun to share a little slice of my Hamline life with my husband and kids. They enjoyed the entertainment and the great convesation at the banquet. They didn't even show (much) embarrassment at my little performance.

    I already miss everyone, but it's great to have this forum and Facebook to stay connected.

    This morning I mailed the beginning of my novel to an editor. Now, it's back to writing mode to work on revision, and I feel well-equipped for that journey.

    ReplyDelete