Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Writer's Dilemma and Shoes


Okay, forget writing and let’s get down to what’s really important for a moment. I have to go to an event this weekend – a potentially stressful event where I may need an extra boost of confidence. Usually whenever I sign a new book contract I treat myself to a pair of shoes. Currently I have no book contract, however I am still excited about my work-in-progress, and my editor is encouraging (sad to say no more contracts with a partial novel anymore). My dilemma: do I buy these new platform shoes that would match my black dress perfectly and also give me some extra height for a particular event even though I cannot afford them and I have no book contract to sign? Would buying them jinx my contract or would it be a good luck omen?

These are the worries of the freelance writer. Treat or no treat? When to celebrate? Bad luck or good luck? Frivolity or practicality? I can spend all my energy either talking myself into it or out of it, when really if I just get back to my novel all these anxieties about shoes and stressful events will fade away! Writing is almost always the answer to everything.

9 comments:

  1. You're a braver woman than I, Lisa. I'd break my neck in those adorable shoes.

    Maybe the step of faith in getting the shoes will bring the contract! Yep, trust it. Go for the treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shoes are beautiful and look like they could serve you several seasons. Get them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome shoes! Confidence (and a little extra height) is worth everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could wear the shoes while you write!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Writing is almost always the answer to everything."
    Dang, and I though it was shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know. Those shoes are too fabulous not to own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need an excuse to buy a new pair of shoes? They are pretty and you want them. Sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me, I'd hold out, but then again, I am Mrs. Practicality. Shoes can wait but alas the mortgage cannot. Now if I ran the world it would be different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmm ... even our shoe shopping needs to be connected to our contracts?! ... I'd be barefoot if I had to live by that rule. I just went out and bought an OVERLY priced pair of ugly shoes that will supposedly get my behind in shape - this is to counter-act all the BIC time that has slowly been misshaping my hindquarters - so yes, essentially my shoe shopping was writing related too. Buy the kicky shoes. Write the book. They're cute shoes. However, Melinda is obviously a good mother - so listen to her, too - the mortgage is always more important than the shoes ... but not as much fun.

    ReplyDelete