Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Mommy Bloggers Are Coming...


I have a picture book out this month. It’s my first one in about three years. A lot has changed in that time. Honestly, I feel a bit Rip Van Winkle. Especially with the marketing biz. So I thought I’d share some of my discoveries with you.


First off, I got a trailer made. Cute. (if you want, you can view it here…) Then I hired a marketing company. Two savvy, smart women who used to work in publishing until, like everyone, they were laid off. They started Blue Slip Media. I highly recommend them if you have a book out and want someone to help market it.


One thing Blue Slip does is get the book to mommy bloggers. No, mommy bloggers are not a group of desperate housewives parading around after their babies are snug in the beds, wielding internet daggers and other such implements. They are not out to get you. In fact, they love books. I mean, they LOVE books, almost as much as they love their babies. And they have big followings (mainly all the other zillions of mommy bloggers). And, get this, they BUY books.


Are reviews in literary journals being replaced by moms (and dads)? It’s a word of mouth system. (word of internet?) It used to be an “in” book with librarians equaled sales. Key being, used to. Now, here come the mommy bloggers. Actually, the mommy bloggers are HERE. They are worth paying attention to.


Here’s a link to some of the top ones such as Momma Drama, Urban Baby, Booking Mama, etc.. or go to: topmommyblogs for a list of many. A lot of them offer free book giveaways, too.

3 comments:

  1. When I blogged (about homeschooling) I had MANY publishers sending me free review copies. I got books, board games, DVDs, anything and everything. I was always sort of shocked by this ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sharing this post with my picture book critique group. We plan to talk marketing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trailer is great, Lisa. I love the story and the music. I've heard about these Mama bloggers and appreciate the heads up, as I have a book coming out this fall after a time out of the promotion scene and it has indeed changed. It's been great seeing your book come to life during the Hamline residencies.

    ReplyDelete